Sights and attractions in San Cristóbal de La Laguna

Sights

Plaza de la Concepción

This is a pretty public area surrounded by relaxing bars, a large Drago tree and many colourful flowers. The bell tower of Iglesia Nuestra Senora de la Concepción can be admired from here, while sitting on one of the many benches. This is where one of the two Tourist Information Centres of the city is located, a handy starting point of your sight seeing in San Cristobal de la Laguna. To the South of Plaza de la Concepción is Plaza del Doctor Olivera

Address: Plaza de la Concepción, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife(eastern end of Calle Adelantado and northern end of Calle del Tizón).

Iglesia Matriz de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción

Built in 1502, the church is the oldest on the island. Closed in a private room is the large glazed 16th century baptismal font, which was used to convert Guanche warriors to Christianity. The church is beautiful and grand with elaborately carved wooden ceiling panels in Moorish design, and decorative painting. Gothic origins are mixed with Renaissance style and Baroque embellishment. The church is less than 50m, southeast of Plaza de la Concepción.

Address: Calle San José, 9, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 259 130
Visiting hours: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 to 12:00 noon and 17:00 to 19:30. Sundays 08:30 12:00 noon and from 17:30 to 19:15.

Casa del Corregidor (currently Town Hall of San Cristóbal de La Laguna)

This is one of the oldest buildings in the city, and was used by Tenerife’s first governing body. The structure of Neoclassical design, clad in bluestone, assertively displays the city coat of arms, with a plaque reading “During the Reign of Ferdinand VII, MDCCCXXIV”. The hall can’t be missed with numerous national flags decorating the face of the building.The red stone façade is a bold example of Plateresque architecture and invites in visitors.

Address: Excmo. Ayuntamiento de La Laguna, Calle Obispo Rey Redondo, 1, San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Telephone: (+34) 922 601 100 (general line)
Website: www.aytolalaguna.com

Convento de Santa Catalina de Siena

Founded in 1611, the convent of cloistered nuns can be found across from Plaza de Adelantado and the old Municipal Market. Declared in 1986 as monument of ‘Good Cultural Interest’ by UNESCO, this Dominican convent prides itself with its exceptional interior, Santa Rosa de Lima sculpture by Rodríguez de la Oliva and the body of the Sister María de Jesús de León Delgado (1643 - 1731), the well-loved Servant of God.

Address: Calle Nava y Grimon, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Palacio de Nava (Palace)

This palace shows off a striking combination of Mannerist, Baroque and Neoclassical design. In 1976, it was designated a cultural heritage building.

Address: Calle Nava y Grimon, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Plaza del Adelantado

Set in the heart of the city, many locals can be seen relaxing in this shaded square. Surrounding it are several cafes and bars, as well as important buildings, including the large city hall and the Church of San Miguel.

Address: Plaza del Adelantado, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Iglesia de San Miguel

Built in 1506, this appealing little church on the eastern edge of Plaza de Adelantado is presently an exhibitions and cultural centre of San Cristóbal de La Laguna.

Address: Plaza del Adelantado, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Convento de Santo Domingo

This convent dates back to the 17th century, and has interesting Mudejar moulded ceilings, as well as housing some important figures, and some frescoes by Mariano de Cossio (1860-1890).

Address: Calle Santo Domingo, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 250 077
Opening hours: Tuesdays to Saturdays 18:00 to 19:30; Sundays and public holidays 10:00 to 12:00 noon, 18:00 to 19:30.

Palacete Rodríguez de Azero (currently a Casino)

This building, completed in 1899, is a stunning example of eclectic architecture, reflecting influences from French palaces, as well as Modernism. The building is now used to house the Casino de La Laguna private club.

Street: Calle Nava y Grimon, 7, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Telephone: (+34) 922 252 005
Website: www.casinodelalaguna.org

Real Santuario del Santismo Cristo de La Laguna

This church is situated in the large public space of Plaza de San Francisco. It holds one of the most worshipped figures in Tenerife, the gothic style carving of Christ. Locals saved the figure when the San Miguel de las Victorias Convent, which previously stood in this area, was burned down.

Address: Calle Quintin Benito, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Casa de Montañes

This18th century building was built by Sergeant Major Francisco Montañés Machado, and is currently the headquarters of the Canarian Government’s Advisory Council. There is also a small information centre. Hidden away behind its walls is a peaceful, lush courtyard, in the centre of which is a small trickling fountain.

Address: Calle de San Agustín, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.

Santa Iglesia Cathedral

This cathedral can be easily spotted due to its beautifully sculpted Neo-gothic domes protruding from the low skyline. The former church became a cathedral in 1818, when the Bishopric of Tenerife was created (Nivria Diocese) by a Papel Bull issued by Pope Pious VIII. The building was demolished, except for the neo-classical façade, and was rebuilt and reopened in 1913.

Address: Plaza Fray Albino, S/N, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 258 938 and 922 258 939
(The cathedral is currently closed for renovation, please call prior to visiting).

Iglesia y Hospital de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores

The front of this building is notable for its grand, stone doorway, a sign of its authority. In fact the edifice has been declared a cultural monument. It has two annexes used for different purposes. On one side a hospital founded in the 15th century once stood-now having been converted into a public library. Next to this is the present day church, which dates back to the second half of the 18th century. Visitors of the small church can admire the many religious images it houses.

Access via: Calle de San Agustín and Calle Juan de Vera, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna,Tenerife.

Instituto de Canarias Cabrera Pinto (Cabrera Pinto Institute of Canarian Studies)

The first thing that is noticeable about this building is its handsome bell tower. At the front of the building is an attractive, traditional patio, and next-door is the burnt out shell of the 17thcentury San Agustín monastery, which was destroyed almost 100 years ago

Address: Calle San Agustín, 48, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 250 742 and 922 250 743


Museums

Museo de Historia y Antropología de Tenerife (Museum of History and Anthropology of Tenerife)

Situated inside Casa de Lercaro, this museum tells about the diverse geography of the island, from its pyramid like shape, to its varied climate. It also describes the native Guanches of Tenerife, and how Alonso Fernández de Lugo was finally able to conquer the island, dominating the Guanches and converting them to Christianity. The museum recounts the dramatic population, economic and political changes that occurred as a result. On display are documents from public institutions since the time of the conquest, recognising Tenerife as the only island lucky enough to preserve its entire historical pedigree.

Address: Calle San Agustín, 20 y 22, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 825 949/43
Opening hours: Tuesdays - Sundays 09:00 to 19:00. Close on Mondays and 24th, 25th, 31st December and 1st and 6th January.
Entry: €3

Museo de Ciencia y el Cosmos (Museum of Science and Cosmos)

This museum provides a lively, interactive approach to science and is worth a visit for children since there are hands on activities and fun learning approaches to be experienced.

Street: Calle Vía Láctea, sin número, 38200, San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: +34 922 315 265 /080Entry: €3. Free on Sunday and for children under 8 years
Opening hours: Tuesdays - Sundays 09:00 to 19:00. Close on Mondays and 24th, 25th, 31st December and 1st and 6th January.

Casa de los Jesuitas

The Jesuit fathers moved here in 1737 and moved out again in 1767, when they were expelled from the Island. This is said to be the birth place of the city’s university. It is currently the headquarters of the Real Sociedad Económica de Amigos del País, and has an excellent library open to the public. There is a museum where valuable archives are on display, of documents from the House of Nava y Grimón, Tabares de Nava and about the legacy of chronicler Rodríguez Moure.

Address: Calle San Agustín, 38201 San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Tenerife.
Telephone: (+34) 922 257 735